You might have used a sliding miter saw, or a compound miter saw. Do you know what a sliding compound miter saw is? An ideal saw needs to be versatile yet powerful. It should have great cutting capacity without losing power or speed.
Yes! Sliding compound miter saw covers that all. In this article, you’ll get to know about this saw’s features, advantages, and all the vital information you need to know about. So without any further delay, let’s know what is sliding compound miter saw is:
Sliding Compound Miter Saw Definition
A saw with combined features of sliding, and compound miter saw is known as a sliding compound miter saw. A sliding compound miter saw is designed with sliding rails and moves the blade and saw head forward and in back and forth motion instead of downward, which increases its cutting ability. Like chop saws, a sliding compound miter saw can also perform straight cuts. Sounds tricky? To better understand this saw, you must know about sliding miter saw and compound saw separately.
What is a Compound Miter Saw?
A compound miter saw is a dual-functional saw. It performs angled cuts in two planes which is helpful for crown molding, picture frames, and any other project like that. This saw can make compound cuts in a single pass. Explore another in-depth discussion about the uses of the miter saw.
Moreover, it has an additional feature of head and blade tilting at multiple angles for your working project. It allows bevel cuts as well as compound cuts. While reading these features, you must wonder what would be the cost of a compound miter saw. To my surprise, an average compound miter saw starts from 100$ and so on, which is pretty economical if you explore the saws market with these features.
Advantages of Compound Miter Saw:
A compound miter saw is a perfect blend of all the features you need in your saw.
- The deepness of the cuts it provides is incredible. It can cut much wider than 3.5 inches.
- This saw comes with a lock feature that allows you to work freely without setting the tool repeatedly. The angles it offers are 90°, 45°, 30°, 22.5°, and 15°.
- This saw has a rotating ability at your project in various angles that helps to perform deeper yet measured cuts.
- You can make bevel cuts, cross cuts, angled cuts, angled cross cuts, and more through a compound miter saw.
What is a Sliding Miter Saw?
A sliding compound miter saw that adds rails to the saw’s blade slides backward and forward across the project. It is designed to perform detailed and sleek cuttings like picture frames, window casings, crown moldings, etc. Sliding compound miter saw gives a greater depth due to its beneficial rails.
Although, it provides more depth than a miter saw of the same size without rails. What’s more, it has the additional capability to make compound cuts. Moreover, it’s an excellent tool for wooden workshops and DIYers.
Advantages of Sliding Miter Saw:
If you have worked with a non-sliding miter saw, you must be aware of the hassle it causes, especially with projects that need deeper and more precise cuttings.
- A sliding compound miter saw is a powerful yet durable saw that provides you with precise, accurate, and deep cuts of more than 2 x 8.
- Another primary advantage of a sliding miter saw is that you don’t have to constantly set the board or saw angle due to its large capacity.
- You might think, “ How big of a board can a 10” sliding miter saw cut? A 10” sliding miter saw can cut 2×6 at 90 degrees angle.
- Mostly sliding miter saws come with a laser guide which helps in more accurate cuts.
Sliding compound miter saw holds the goodness of both sliding and compound miter saws, which makes it unique. You might think, what are the features of this hyped sliding compound miter saw? So let me tell you the features it offers.
- You can tilt the saw head and blade, which makes trimming and cutting hassle-free and smooth.
- A sliding compound miter saw is designed to handle big projects, and it’s versatile enough to cut wide up to 16”.
- You can perform bevel cuts, crosscuts, angular cuts, and many more through this single saw.
- The sliding rails in the saw offer the additional benefit of cutting straight, faster, and precisely.
What is a Sliding Compound Mitre Saw Used for?
A sliding compound miter saw has a great range of horizontal motion which helps cut big lumbers.
- They can easily be used to cut masonry, plastic, and metal.
- A sliding compound miter saw is used mainly for cutting and trimming wood and molding purposes.
- This saw helps cut a wider board of 12” to 16” in width; you cannot make these much deeper cuts with an ordinary miter saw.
- This saw is a must-have for big wood workshop owners to make their work much more effortless.
Just know the purpose of using a miter saw, it will make you clear about what project can you use a miter saw in.
Why should you Buy a Sliding Compound Miter Saw?
A sliding compound miter saw is a versatile tool that offers multiple features. It can create several types of cuts in minutes. It’s perfect for people working on a large scale. It not just saves your hours but also makes perfect and accurate cuts at any angle, thanks to its sliding feature. Moreover, this single saw offers multiple types of cutting tasks on different materials. I recommend you get a 10-12 inch sliding compound miter saw which can easily go above 6” on board. It’s totally recommended from my side.
Why would you need a Compound Miter Saw as Opposed to a Standard Miter Saw?
A standard miter saw is the simplest version of the miter saw. It can make angled cuts, trimming, and many other cutting tasks. While a compound miter saw comes with some remarkable features. It can tilt the blade, and head of the saw at different angles during the project, making trimming and cutting quick and precise. Moreover, it can perform bevel cuts, cross cuts, miter cuts, and compound cuts in a single pass. So a compound miter saw is a win over a standard miter saw. Want to know Which brand makes the best sliding compound miter saw? After 12 hours of continuous and thorough research, I have concluded that DEWALT is the best brand that makes great sliding compound miter saws.
Before starting the use of a miter saw, be careful of miter saw using rules in other ways, can be happened dangerous something.
A sliding compound miter saw is one of the fastest yet smoothest working saws in the market. It has the advantages of both sliding, and compound miter saw, making it the best of all. However, before your purchase, you should keep some pain points about this in your mind as the brand, size, and features of the sliding compound miter saw.